Welcome back to the 2016-2017 school year at Waite Park Community School. My name is Nicole Root and I have been the speech-language clinician for the past 7 years and I am very excited to return to Waite Park this year!
In my classroom we work on different skill areas: articulation, language, fluency, and voice. If your child has an Individualized education plan (IEP) with goals in one or more of these areas, they will be working with me as specified on their plan.
I look forward to working with your child this year. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me at any time and I will do my best to respond as quickly as possible.
Nicole Root, M.A. CCC-SLP
District Voicemail: 612-668-9111
• Contact your child’s teacher. Let him/her know what your concerns are. Your teacher will monitor your child and provide core, classroom instruction to help increase success in the area of speech and language.
• If the parent/teacher think further action is needed, classroom interventions will be implemented and modified to fit your child's individual needs.
• If the interventions are successful, they will be continued in the classroom as needed.
• If the interventions are unsuccessful, the student may be referred on to a full speech/language evaluation. If the team decides that the child needs to be evaluated, the student will be evaluated in one or more of the following areas:
◦ Articulation (speech sound production)
◦ Language (understanding and expressing oral language)
◦ Fluency (stuttering)
◦ Voice (harsh, horse, breathy, pitch differences, etc)
• For more information on Speech and Language development, refer to the webpage for The American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA)
If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.
1800 34th Avenue NE Minneapolis, MN 55418
Telephone: 612.668.1600 | Fax: 612.668.1610